Provider Tax

and Rising

Health Care Access Fund Initiatives

MinnesotaCare is a comprehensive strategy to improve the quality of health care services, increase access to health coverage for the uninsured and contain health care costs. These strategies are funded by premiums paid by enrollees of the program to the uninsured, a 1% premium tax on HMOs and non-profit health service companies and 2% tax on providers. The total amount of revenue generated by these funding mechanisms will be approximately $200 million in fiscal year 1997 Of the funds currently being used from this fund, approximately 80% is used for the MinnesotaCare Subsidy Program for the Uninsured while the remaining 20% is used for initiatives such as those below. The following list of activities, all supported by the fund, are varied and help to meet the goals identified above.